Greenhills School is an equal opportunity employer.
Greenhills School is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of any characteristic that is protected by State and Federal law. Michigan law requires that a person with a disability or handicap requiring accommodations to perform the essential duties of the job must notify the employer in writing within 182 days of the date that the need is known or should have been known.
Director of Communications and Marketing
Department: Advancement and Admissions
Reports to: Dual report to directors of Admission and Advancement
Schedule: Full time, calendar year, may include some evenings and weekends
Greenhills School, an independent school of 520 students in grades 6-12, has an immediate opening for a Director of Communications and Marketing. This is a 12-month position, which offers an excellent array of benefits and a highly competitive salary.
The Director of Communications and Marketing collaborates with a wide range of constituencies and offices inside the school. Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of our diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of various races, ethnicities, sexualities, gender identities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming inclusive community.
The Director of Communications and Marketing serves as the main storyteller on campus, conceiving and crafting stories that highlight our community for various outlets, both digital and print. The Director also functions as the lead for internal, cross-divisional communication-related meetings and coordinates the school’s primary digital pieces— the monthly e-newsletter, twice-annual alumni magazine, annual donor report, and a weekly parent email. This position also develops and implements social media strategy.
Specific responsibilities include planning, initiating, and managing school-wide communications; managing the design and content of school print, digital, and social media; and determining and implementing, in a manner consistent with the values of the school, the strategic direction of the school’s communications and marketing plan. The Director of Communications and Marketing is responsible for the strategy, content, and consistency of all-school communications, and provides strategic direction, creative content and production supervision on fundraising, admission and programmatic material.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify and pursue story, photo and video opportunities; work collaboratively to conceive content that authentically tells the story of the school, its mission, and values
- Participate in school-wide events, meetings and committees as appropriate
- Train and support content owners outside of communications to create and post content consistent with guidelines
- Ongoing support for written materials and message development
- Manage the website with our external designer, post content, ensure it’s up-to-date, reflects our community, and is easily navigable for a variety of users
- Manage and populate school accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Oversee all aspects of production (concept, design, content, and editorial) of the school’s print and electronic publications, including a twice-annual print magazine, a monthly e-newsletter, weekly parent communications and annual report
- Work with key staff, particularly the directors of Advancement and Admission, in devising and creating collateral materials for school-wide events
- Manage external vendors, including printers and designers
- Attend classes and community events in order to gather stories and maintain a finger on the pulse of the community
- Partner with our technology team to ensure appropriate communication tools are being used, including understanding best practices in digital communication
- Provide technical support for the users of the password-protected areas of the website, troubleshooting problems and giving guidance on best practices
- Organize required forms and documents for important yearly communications to parents and guardians
- Assist with school-wide calendaring system and its integration with the website
- Ensure integrity and implementation of the school’s new brand identity materials
- Assist with emergency communication plans as needed
- Act as primary liaison to the media, producing and distributing press releases as needed and working to place appropriate press coverage
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree plus demonstrated administrative expertise
- A strategic and creative thinker who enjoys digging into concepts and telling a good story
- Three to five years of experience in marketing and/or communications, journalism, media, technology, or education
- Proven strong writing and editorial skills
- Interest in and familiarity with social networks
- A strong understanding of the uses and basic mechanics of digital media
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good customer service skills
- Photography and/or video skills a plus
- Desktop design experience a plus
- Website content management experience a plus, especially for WordPress
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Google applications, database management and comfortable with technology.
- Have an interest in/eye for graphic design, photography, or videography
- Previous independent school or nonprofit experience a plus
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Office environment
- Repetitive motion, use of keyboard
- Occasional light lifting and carrying. Regular standing, stooping and walking to various locations on campus
Please send cover letter, resume and select work samples to email@example.com
The essential functions and basic skills have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. We want a diverse mix of talented people who want to join us as student centered educators and role models who bring joy and good humor to our classrooms, fields, and offices. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming inclusive community.
Part-time Bus Drivers
Valid CDL and references required. Email resume and references to Chief Financial Officer John Nickel, firstname.lastname@example.org.